An award-winning writer, presenter, actress and activist, Lebo Mashile is a household South African name who is most recognisable for her lyrical and gutsy poetry which has captivated audiences in 24 countries worldwide. A much sought-after speaker, Master of Ceremonies, performer and social commentator, her infectious enthusiasm is infused into every platform she has touched since 2000.
Mashile’s passion for the arts and social justice is evident in her prolific body of work. She possesses an incomparable ability to make poetry accessible to just about any audience. She travels widely and regularly to share her unique brand of artistry at high-level corporate events, government occasions, award proceedings, learning institutions, and international festivals.
Since 2004, Mashile has graced South African television screens as a presenter of shows such as ‘Latitude’ (SABC1), ‘Drawing The Line’ (SABC2) and ‘Great Expectations’ (eTV). She is also a stage and screen actress who appeared in the Academy Award-nominated film, ‘Hotel Rwanda‘. To date, the poet has authored two books. Her poetry collection ‘In A Ribbon of Rhythm’ (2005) won the 2006 NOMA Award for Publishing in Africa. In 2008, Mashile published her second collection Flying Above the Sky.
- 2012 – Art Ambassador Award (Mbokodo Awards for South African Women in the Arts)
- 2011 – Top 100 Africans (New African magazine)
- 2010 Arts and Culture Woman of the Year for 2010 (Glamour magazine)
- 2006, 2007 and 2009 – Top 100 Youth in South Africa (Mail & Guardian)
- 2007 – Woman of Prestige Award (City Press/Rapport)
- 2006 NOMA Award for Publishing in Africa
- 2006 Top TV Personality in South Africa by The Star Top 100